Our dedicated team of engineers builds and supplies weather nowcasting data to EFB and aviation software developers.
Our nowcasting data is produced by data fusion of near real-time Earth observation sources including satellite imagery (EUMETSAT), ground observations, as well as traditional numerical weather prediction forecasts.
We offer our own off-the shelve data products, as well as tailormade solutions using the latest scientific meteorological and data science techniques.
Rain probability is what we analyze for clients.
We use computed state-of-the-art weather now casting algorithms and calibrated using ground observation time series.
As with most of our products, vertical graphs can be produced, indicating the rain expected en route. We produce a 5 hours future look of the movement of the rain and all other weather products.
The rain forecast provides details like:
- Convective Rain: The areas of rain with convection within
- Rain Probability: The chance of rain in particular areas and heights
- Rain Composite: An overview of both Rain Probability and Convective Rain
- Rain Amount: Predicted volume of rain in mm/h falling on the ground
Active thunderstorms can be detected with estimation of their top altitude, intensity, maturity stage and near future movements.
Advance awareness before the arrival of a Storm can add to safety.
The estimation algorithm exploits the fact that strong convective formations behave as raising "bubbles" in the atmosphere.
These are detected by tracking altitudes of clouds over time and estimating the speed of their vertical movement.
Being the uniqe in the world with such a feature, our team is very proud to have developed this:
- Thunderstorms: Detected thunderstorm cells with their severity height and direction of movement
Optical thickness of observed cloud cover at vertical levels is estimated by enhancing the most recent observations of clouds optical properties from space with the most recent ground-based observations and NWP forecasts.
We provide data about:
- Cloud Thickness: Complete 4D information about the clouds in the atmosphere
- Cloud Tops: Height information of the top of the highest cloud layer
- Cloud Ceiling: The height of the bottom of the lowest clouds that cover more than half of the sky
- Surface Visibility: Visibility distance from the ground in km
- Surface Wind: Strength and direction of the wind on ground
Positioning our Satellite dish on the roof top of the building of S[&]T, marked the start of development of our own satellite reception pipeline.
Meandair BV licenses its weather nowcasting data for the new feature of the SkyDemon app called Flyable Conditions.
We recently welcomed Michaela Arnoštová in our team!
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed about the latest developments.
Gernot Veit Batz
R&D Software Engineer
Meteorologist, Lightning Engineer
Ada Aukje Engel
Marketing, Sales & B&D Manager
Meteorologist, R&D Software Developer
Meandair BV is based in The Netherlands and Prague, was founded in 2018 by Peter Novák & Antonín Komenda, two accomplished computer scientists and aviation enthusiasts.
Meandair is funded by the European Space Agency (ESA) through ESA Space Solutions and is carried out in collaboration with Science [&] Technology and KNMI, The Netherlands.
Meandair B.V. is participating in the ESA Business Incubation Centre Noordwijk, The Netherlands.